Dominion’s environmental investment program began in the 1990s and has produced significant improvements in air quality – with more benefits still to come.
Since 1998, we have made major strides in reducing the environmental footprint of our generating fleet. By 2015, we will have achieved the following improvements:
- sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions will have been reduced system-wide by an average of 88 percent;
- nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions will have declined by 84 percent; and
- mercury emissions will have fallen by 89 percent.
By 2020, when all of EPA’s new rules will be in effect, we expect even greater emissions reduction totals:
- 91 percent for mercury and sulfur dioxide; and
- 84 percent for nitrogen oxides.