We connected employees far and wide by going 'social' with employee news
Engagement and Recognition
We understand that an engaged and motivated workforce drives organizational performance. And we know the more engaged our employees, the safer, more productive and customer-focused they will be – and also the more committed to the company’s strategic goals and mission.
As we work to refine our employee engagement and recognition programs, we strive to balance the company’s business needs with our employees’ desire to grow professionally in their careers. The guiding principles of this emerging model include:
- Communications that align company and employee needs and reinforce our mutual commitments and responsibilities;
- Performance and accountability that emphasize results and define and measure success at every organizational level;
- Development initiatives that identify and grow leadership capacity and career path potential; and
- Recognition programs and awards that honor and encourage outstanding job performance, innovation and community service.
As in other areas of our business, our approach to engagement is focused on continuous improvement and finding new ways to boost engagement levels in keeping with ever-changing business conditions.
A sampling of the many channels we use to engage employees include the following:
- Regular print and electronic communications
- Face-to-face meetings with senior management
- Awards/recognition banquets
- Wellness blog
- Quarterly “pulse” surveys
- Volunteer opportunities
In 2011, we launched an official Facebook page for our employees called “Dominion Voice” to facilitate engagement and networking outside of work. Our Employee Communications team maintains the site and publishes news, community events, volunteer projects, discussion topics and videos. All other content is employee-driven.
Specific to sustainability, we created a cross-functional Employee Sustainability Team last year to engage the workforce in helping to implement our programs and share information about sustainability across the organization. We also launched a “Sustainability Speakers Series” in 2011 to bring in external experts to share best practices and experiences with our employees. This series will continue in 2012.